Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Two Months Old YAY!

Happy August everyone :) Today I start the third month of my mission and life is good. I hope everything is going well with all of you! This week has been kind of a turning point on my mission. We did not have the most success as far as teaching a ton of lessons to new investigators, but I myself have changed in terms of really starting to love this work and the people. I have been praying a lot for more charity and to be filled with the love Jesus has and I have definitely seen that in my life this week. Now that I have more love for the work and the people and as it grows more and more everyday, everything will become better and more natural. Missionary work really is the best work in the world. I love the light people get in their eyes when they feel the spirit or find a principle or doctrine is true for themselves.

We had exchanges this week (where my companion and I switched companions with the Sister Training Leaders.) They came down to Fairhope and we split up for the day and got to work, teaching and finding. It was awesome! My companion for the day was Sister Redfearn and she's just great :) That night when we were about to head home, we had a strong impression to go inside Arby's. Not really sure exactly why, we went to the front counter to ask for a water cup and the guy working said: "Missionaries?? for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?? I was just baptized into that church!!" His name is Tim and he wants to go on a mission but has really been struggling with some things in trying to prepare to go. He said he has been praying and praying for something to change in his life and meeting us is an answer to his prayers. It was so incredible! We are now teaching him and helping him get ready to go serve the Lord.

On Wednesday night, we went over to a member's home for dinner and as we wrapped things up, we asked them if they knew of anyone who would be interested in hearing the gospel. The mother said: "Yes, Hunter (her 16 year-old son's friend) who came to youth conference and lives next door. We should go say hi to him and let him meet y'all." Excited, Sister Jackson and I went over to his house with them and when we walked through the door, the mother said: "Hunter, these girls want to teach you the Mormon lessons and get you baptized." We were in shock that she said that. It was so awkward and her son was beaming red from embarrassment. Hunter surprisingly agreed to meet with us next week and as we left, Sister Jackson and I said, "Well, that's one way to do it!" hahaha. It was hilarious.

On Friday, we did service all morning for a family who is moving here from Indiana who aren't members of the church. Six of us in my district went and we helped move them in. It was SO HOT! That humidity is so much fun, let me tell ya but I'd like to say missionaries are just as good as a pro moving company! haha It was awesome.

On Sunday, a man we see every week named Bill, came to church after not coming for seven months. It was the most amazing feeling and he loved it! Sister Jackson and I taught the 11 year-olds in primary and I had so much fun. I decided that teaching primary is most likely the best calling in the church (besides being a missionary of course haha ;).

We had one more miracle that I want to end this email with. Last night we went to the pier and talked to a ton of people and got turned down more than usual. Discouraged, we made our way to one last man on the way to the car. His name is Hani and he is going to school in Mobile.  He is from Saudi Arabia and has only been in the states for three years. He said he didn't really believe in God or religion but would maybe be interested in hearing more. We got his contact information to give to the Elders who serve in Mobile. We shook his hand goodbye and as we were about to get to our car we heard someone say: HEY! He was following after us, and said, "Where do I go to learn more about your church? What church should I go to on Sunday? When can I be baptized?" It was UNREAL! We were shocked and thrilled. I saw first hand, someone who has been SO prepared to receive this gospel. If only missionary work were always that easy! But if it were all so easy, moments like that wouldn't mean so much :)

I love my mission so much and I love the south and the people here! I hope you all have a great week, Write me soon!

Love,
Sister Fletcher
Sister Kinghorn, Redfearn, Jackson, and me... My BFFS!!!

All the shrimp we caught last week!

This amazing castle we found in Fairhope!
A man lives there and let us tour his house inside...
 It is literally straight out of a fairytale!
 (look up Dean Mosher to learn more)

Sister Redfearn and I (: 

The biggest watermelon ever!

The super cute kids I taught in primary this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment