Monday, June 26, 2017

Jesus Savior, Pilot Me

Hi!! How is everyone this week?! Life is good out here in FL, just super hot and humid! This week we have done lots of service, lots of painting, moving, unloading and loading trucks, and lots of other stuff in between. It's been tons of fun! 

My district is going to Destin today which is known for the prettiest beaches and a huge mall so that should be fun :) 

This week we have done a lot of finding yet again and haven't had the most success. It can get pretty discouraging from time to time but then I remind myself of all the times the Lord has blessed me out here and directed me to His prepared children. Yesterday was no different! An 18 year-old girl in the ward, Cumorah, who is preparing to go on a mission, came out with us in the afternoon. We had a couple lessons planned but they both fell through. It was a bummer and I kept saying a prayer in my heart as to what we should do next. We ended up driving to a potential investigator's house and she wasn't home as well so we walked down the street to see another potential, and of course, he wasn't home either. On our way back to the car, I noticed a lady sitting outside on her porch with her 10 year-old son. We walked up the driveway and started talking to them for a bit, explaining what we do as missionaries. She had kind of a hard exterior and wasn't too interested in talking. She had some cool tattoos and I asked her what they were. She opened up telling us they were in memory of her father who died from drugs a while back. She then mentioned her nephew just recently passing away from suicide. She said that a loving God would never take away His children or make them go through these awful things. She said it has really made her question her faith and she doesn't really believe in Heavenly Father anymore. We testified to her of how much Heavenly Father really does love us and started teaching points of the plan of salvation. All the sudden, I saw her crying (which totally surprised me). She could really feel the spirit. She stopped me in mid sentence and asked, "I have one question... why do y'all not celebrate Christmas??" We started laughing and answered, "No ma'am, we aren't Jehovah's Witnesses!!" She replied, "Seriously?! Oh my gosh, I'm so relieved." hahaha It was hilarious. THEN she became so much more open with us and said we could come back and teach her. I feel SO good about Veronica. It's interesting that the Lord allowed all of our appointments to cancel and fall through perhaps just to run into Veronica yesterday. She is incredible and I can't wait to help her see how much God really does love her...it's amazing how much love I already feel for her!

I love hymn # 104, "Jesus Savior, Pilot Me."
  1. 1. Jesus, Savior, pilot me
    Over life's tempestuous sea;
    Unknown waves before me roll,
    Hiding rock and treach'rous shoal.
    Chart and compass came from thee;
    Jesus, Savior, pilot me.
  2. 2. As a mother stills her child,
    Thou canst hush the ocean wild;
    Boist'rous waves obey thy will
    When thou say'st to them, "Be still!"
    Wondrous Sov'reign of the sea,
    Jesus, Savior, pilot me.
  3. 3. When at last I near the shore,
    And the fearful breakers roar
    'Twixt me and the peaceful rest,
    Then, while leaning on thy breast,
    May I hear thee say to me,
    "Fear not; I will pilot thee
The words are so beautiful and have really helped me this week, and every week! Our Savior can be the pilot in our lives. In the first verse when it mentions a "chart and compass", I was thinking about what that chart and compass may be. I think some of the "charts" God has given us are the scriptures. We need to read and study them everyday because they can give us an outline for our lives. Also, conference talks can be a chart. They show us what a prophet of God wants us to know. Partaking of the sacrament each week can also be a chart in our lives. I am so grateful we can go to church every Sunday and renew the covenants we have made and receive a promise that the spirit will always be with us. I know I need the spirit with me, all the time. As far as our compasses in life, I think a compass can be the light of Christ that has been given to all of us when we were born. Also, the power of prayer, that we can literally reach our Father in Heaven whenever we need Him. Prayer is a constant source of inspiration and guidance. Another compass can be the family and friends we have in our lives. I am so grateful for my family and the love they have for the gospel! 

Just like the hymn concludes, Jesus is telling us, "fear not, I will pilot thee". I know this can be true if we allow Christ to help us in our lives. If we heed to the words of the scriptures and of our modern day prophets, we will have nothing to fear. I am so grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ and I am so grateful I get to wear Christ's name on my heart everyday. 

I love you all. Have a blessed week :))

-Sister Fletcher
Bowling!
The bolt that got stuck in
our tire last week...hahaha
<333
:)
I got to see my mini me, Jersey, on Sunday at
Stake Conference!!!!!It has been 6 months
and I was so happy to see her :))

No comments:

Post a Comment