Monday, January 9, 2017

Lynn HEAVEN!

Dear those who still read my emails ;)

This week has been another great one. I have never been so tired and exhausted in my life, but I think that's what the mission is intended to do - to wipe us out spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically. It is a good kind of exhausted, one that I love to feel every night because it means we have tried our hardest each day. Whitewashing has been so much fun. We have been able to have a fresh view with fresh eyes for Lynn Haven and although Sister Carter and I feel kinda overwhelmed sometimes, the work is really progressing here.

There have been a lot of crazy things happen this week and I won’t go into detail, but wow! You truly don't know what you get yourself into when you head out on a mission, but that's what makes it all the better! It’s exciting and every day something new and crazy seems to happen.

We have a new investigator, Margaret, who we met at the Salvation Army a few weeks ago and she told us about the time when she found God and knew He was real. It was a beautiful story. She spent some time in jail a while back, being convicted of something she did not do, and while in the jail cell, she was praying and praying for release. She opened up her Bible one morning to Psalms Chapter 146, where it says the Lord looseth the prisoners; that God will set the prisoners free. Later that same day, she was let out and proclaimed innocent. It’s so amazing learning from so many personal experiences of those we teach, just how much God's hand is in all of our lives. I know God's hand continues to be in Margaret's life because she ran into us and is now able to learn about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, something she has been waiting for!

Another one of our investigators, Cathy, who we have been teaching for three weeks or so, has committed to getting baptized. She is SOOOO solid, like seriously, knows the Book of Mormon is true and has already read through Jacob! (the third book in the Book of Mormon) She is going through a lot of trials at home, but I know everything will work out as she reaches out to Heavenly Father at this time. She loved church yesterday and knows that is where she should be every Sunday. Cathy plans to get baptized on February 4th and I am just so excited for her!!!!!

So this week I have been reading conference talks and studying the topic of living in the now and being happy where you are, not having regrets or worries. I have been studying the conference talk: Of Regrets and Resolutions by President Uchtdorf, and got some amazing insight from it. (I recommend looking it up!!!)  It touches on three things people usually regret when at their death bed. One being not spending enough time with those they love. I have been thinking about that and I realized that those I love and who I am devoting my efforts to right now are here in Lynn Haven. I truly love and care for our investigators, so what I should do is give them my time. Time is so precious! I need to always be compassionate towards them and not appear like I am in a rush. I think sometimes as missionaries, we are in such a rush to get from lesson to lesson that we forget to stop and care for and love who we teach. The Savior wasn't in a rush when He healed and blessed and taught, so we shouldn't be either.

Something else people often regret is not becoming who God wants them to be, not living up to their full potential. I am realizing more and more every day, there is no better time than now on my mission, to start to realize who Heavenly Father intends me to be.  I can start becoming more like my Savior by following His example and loving and serving as He does. This is something I have always really tried to do on my mission, but I can always do it even more.

The last regret people often have at the end of their lives is finding happiness, regardless of their circumstances. I am learning that we truly control our happiness and that our external circumstances do not. It is empowering to know that if we aren't happy, if we don't like the way things are going in our life, we can change our attitudes. We can change how we react. We can choose to be happy!

I truly loved this talk and everything I learned. I am learning more things pertaining to the gospel every day and it is amazing how much I am able to apply it and teach it to those we teach and visit. I am so grateful to be a missionary, to be a disciple of Jesus Christ. This is what it really feels to be happy!

I hope y'all have a great week and stay warm! I sure am here in Florida :))

love,
Sister Fletcher
Cathy!!
Cute British kids!
Red-bearded dragon - slightly terrified...

Mitchel - a precious kid we teach
playing my guitar
Conferences wohhooo

No comments:

Post a Comment