Tuesday, November 8, 2016

DeFuniak (Da Funky Shack)

Hello all! We had zone conference in Fort Walton yesterday so our P-day is today and the computers we are emailing on are SO slow.  I’ve been watching the computer for over an hour and now it’s finally letting me write my group email. :') 

Life is good in DeFuniak! This place is literally SO different than my first area in Fairhope. Like a whole new world. I honestly have culture shock. It is SO country and so southern, in the middle of nowhere. The nickname in the mission for DeFuniak is “Da Funky Shack” and it definitely owns up to its name... We live in a house so that’s pretty sweet, and the area we cover is HUGE!  so we do a lot of driving and can’t bike much at all here. 

First things first, leaving Fairhope, AL, ripped my heart out. I thought leaving home in Simi was hard...but leaving Fairhope was even harder I think because of the fact that I know I will see my family and friends again for sure, and leaving Fairhope there is uncertainty. (even though I KNOW I will visit!) Linda and Doug, my mom and dad here, who are recent converts, surprised me with a guitar as a good-bye present. They signed it and bought me a strap and case and picks. It was so humbling and sweet. Saying good-bye to them was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do!  I also was able to say bye to a lot of families and investigators in my first area. It was a crazy last few days! 

Last Wednesday, I got on the transfer van and headed to Fort Walton.  My new companion, Sister Dominique, picked me up and we headed to DeFuniak Springs! We have already taught lots of amazing, spirit-filled lessons. Our investigators here are really solid and I’m really excited about them.

We teach one lady named Tammy on her porch by the lake and sometimes we hear country music playing as we teach. Whenever we go over to Tammy’s house, I feel like I’m in some type of country film. Brother Strippling, our ward mission leader, came with us to one of her lessons and gave her a priesthood blessing of healing. (she has been having a lot of stomach pain) The spirit was SO strong and she received exactly what she needed. Tears were in everyone's eyes. 

We have another investigator named Marissa (good name, huh ;)) and she is 12 years old.  She is SO smart. She reads the Book of Mormon and has a journal she writes in as she reads every night. She understands and believes everything concerning the gospel and we committed her to be baptized. She wants to be baptized on her birthday in January :) 
Since I have a guitar, Sister Dominique has asked me to take it to a lot of our appointments and has me sing and play for people. We are really excited to tract using it. haha. 
The two of us make a great team. She teaches me how to be “gangsta” and fit in with this place, and I’m teaching her how to play guitar. We have SO much fun together. We keep each other laughing 24/7 and that’s what life’s all about!
There are stray cats and dogs everywhere here! Literally everyone has a pit bull. On Friday, a pit bull bit me and it hurt pretty bad haha but I’m good. Don’t worry, the dog didn’t have rabies. #Blessings.

I am so grateful for my mission and the people I am meeting out here. I have truly become humbled and changed forever. In my scripture study, I am in Alma 26. In verse 1, the prophet Ammon is speaking, saying, "For could we have supposed when we started from the land of Zarahemla that God would have granted us such great blessings?" Then in verse 9 it goes on to say, "For if we had not come up out of the land of Zarahemla, these our dearly beloved brethren, who have so dearly beloved us, would still have been racked with hatred against us, yea, and they would also have been strangers to God."

As I have been reflecting on this chapter and these two verses specifically, I think about my mission, and how before it all started, I never would be able to imagine or comprehend the amazing blessings that have come into my life. All the people I’ve met and been able to share the gospel with and all the ways the Spirit has guided me every day. I am forever grateful for this blessing in my life. In verse 9, when it says that our brethren would be lost and never have known God, I relate it to our investigators here. I am so grateful to be a servant of God to bring Jesus Christ's exact gospel to bless peoples’ lives. It is the most amazing calling in the world. How did I get so lucky??
 
Well, I love you all so much! So grateful for the prayers and love!

My new address is: 
411 Walton Road
DeFuniak Springs, FL 32433

Send me a letter if ya ever get bored ;) I would love to hear from y’all. 
Have a great week! and Happy Election Day....  :)))

lots of love,

sister fletcher
Halloween Party!



The District

The Langi Family
(so sad to say bye to them)

The guitar Doug and Linda gave me

Linda <333
Sis P

Friends

Doug and Linda gave us these shirts
and signed them!

No comments:

Post a Comment