Monday, July 18, 2016

Sweet Home Alabama!

Hey y'all! How has everyone's week been? Thank you to all who have written me letters this week, I am so grateful for so many good friends and such a great family!

Alabama is slowly starting to feel like home. I am still getting adjusted to missionary life, but I know soon enough, I will feel totally normal here. The one thing I try to remind myself is: "I had enough FAITH to be here." It is so easy to get down on yourself or to get frustrated with the work and with investigators not progressing the way you would like but I know that everything will come in time, in the Lord's time. I am just learning how to have more patience with God and with what He needs me to be doing at this time, which is fully trusting in Him and the plan He has for His children here in Fairhope, Alabama. 

Reading the Book of Mormon in 2 Nephi 4:34 has really helped me!! It says: "O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever.  I will not put my trust in the arm of flesh; for I know that cursed is he that putteth his trust in the arm of flesh.  Yea, cursed is he that putteth his trust in man or maketh flesh his arm."  During hard times, we should let God lift off the heavy weight from our shoulders.

We were watching addiction recovery videos (the 12 step program videos on addictionrecovery.lds.org) with some investigators and it was amazing what I learned! I invite you guys to watch those videos, addiction or not, because it will change your perspective. It helps with repentance too.  It makes you realize how important it is to align your will with God's! During one of the short recovery videos, a man pleaded with God in prayer and the answer he received really resonated with me. He said that God whispered through the spirit, to Him: "Will you LET me take this?"  That is exactly what we need to do. We need to realize that God can completely help us and transform us into who he knows we can become because He sees our potential. Once we let God into our lives, miracles will happen. I have such a testimony of that!

Sorry to rant and go all "missionary" on you guys. I am just really grateful for what I have learned so far out here!
One woman we are teaching, Kelly, made a comment I loved about the Book of Mormon. We read with her in 2 Nephi 31.  The spirit was so strong through all the questions she asked. When we were finished, she said: "The words in here are exactly what I have been feeling and thinking, and it is so nice to finally have it written down and make sense." I loved that! It was like she thought about and yearned for something that she never even knew she wanted in her life and now it is right in front of her, there to help her.  Unfortunately she hasn't come to church yet which kinda broke my heart a little on Sunday but I have faith she will soon. We also met a woman who is 103!!  She wanted us to teach her even though she is really into her Baptist faith.  She is so inspiring to me and has so much love! She recognizes the special spirit during the lessons.

We have had quite the share of bible bashing appointments this week which has kinda been rough but it grows my testimony a lot and all we can do is simply testify of what we know to be true!  I am seeing so many tender mercies every day where I know the Lord is so aware of me and of the people we teach. Yesterday at church, a lady from my grandparents' small town (and my dad's hometown) of Bartlesville, Oklahoma, was in Relief Society in my ward. She mentioned she was from Oklahoma and I asked her from where.  She said she lives in the same town as my grandma and said how much she loves my grandparents very much! I could not believe it because no one seems to know where Bartlesville is! I just loved talking to her and being able to feel at home for a while. I am so grateful for little miracles everyday.

I wanted to end with how much I love the work, whether it be hard or not. I know there is nothing else I would rather be doing and I am really starting to love these people. I can not even imagine a life without knowing them now, I don't even want to imagine that.

I love you all very much! thank you for all those who have been such an example to me growing up.
Have a great week!!!

Love,
sister fletcher

pictures:
1)pretty field we found :)
2) a lady we visit, Debbie Winters!
3) missionary selfie
4) the bay at night!
5) the lady from Oklahoma I met at church!
6) sis J and I showing off our cooking skills
Pretty field we found

A lady we visit, Debbie Winters

Missionary selfie

The bay at night!

The lady from Oklahoma I met at church

Sis J and I showing off
our cooking skills

No comments:

Post a Comment